Creating a Beacon
- 2 minutes to read
Creating Beacon is a 2 step process:
- On the Whatfix Editor, click Beacons.
- Enter a name for the Beacon Collection.
- The Beacon Collection name is solely for the creator's reference and is not visible to the user.
- A Beacon Collection is a grouping of beacons belonging to the same page.
- Click the +Beacon button to create a new beacon.
- Select an element on the application where the Beacon must appear.
- Enter the label for the Beacon.
- Set the position and visibility for the beacon.
- Click Add Beacon.
Once you have created the Beacon collection, a segment is automatically created on your Whatfix dashboard.
Configuring Segments helps you control who sees your content and when and where it is displayed. To configure the visibility rules, follow the procedure below.
- Navigate to the Whatfix Dashboard.
- In the left panel, click Widgets.
- Click Beacon.
- Navigate to the auto-created segment. The segment name Is the beacon collection name. Click the Edit icon.
- Expand the Set Visibility Rules section and set up your visibility rules that determine the display of the beacon collection. See Identifying conditions for showing tooltips for more information on the different conditions used in visibility rules.
- Click the When tab and then select the number of times you want to show the beacon.
- To include a workflow, a video or a link to display along with the beacon, expand Attach Content, click the Attach Content button and then select any content that you want to display to your users.
- Click Save.
- On the Segment page, activate the segment.
To learn more about setting up visibility rules, see Segmentation.
- The beacon stops displaying once the user clicks it. To show the beacon again, you can refresh the beacon segment or re-create it.
- If Beacons are to be used for multiple pages; separate collections need to be created for each individual page.
- Subsequent changes to the beacon collection do not update the corresponding segment.