Past Release Notes
- 19 minutes to read
Last updated: 29th November 2018
- Enterprise Extension
- Self Help and Knowledge Base Integration (Beta)
- Standard Whatfix Video UI
- TaskList Analytics - Measure User Progress and Training Effectiveness
- Editor’s Labels Update
- Progressive Task Completion in Tasklist
- Custom Extension on UI
- Editor UX Improvement - Insert step before or after the current step
- Editor UX Improvement - Step completion on enter & tab keypress
- UX Improvement - More configuration options on window variable It is now possible to create more flexible segments for better targeting of users. In the window variable option in the Editor and Dashboard you will see four more options to perform comparison options easily:
To support customers who use Whatfix on more than one application, we now have an enterprise extension that helps you deploy Whatfix across all the applications.
- Each application’s data is independent of one another.
- To get this enabled, please contact email@example.com.
Whatfix can now pull your knowledge base articles to show to users in their Self-help, thereby saving them time in going through different sources looking for answers.
- We can pull data from all the HTML pages but have good integrations with Confluence, Zendesk, and Freshdesk.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set this up.
We have improved the experience of the Whatfix auto-generated videos:
- A standardized format for multi-format content is now applied to downloaded videos. Users now see uniformity in the format of PDFs, slideshows and videos.
- Rich text editor features are now supported for videos as well.
Analytics for tasklist is now even more powerful. You can view learners’ progress and measure the effectiveness of your training by seeing a snapshot of how many users have completed the entire tasklist training vs. how many users are still undergoing training.
With this release, we have simplified the labels used in the Whatfix editor. Example: "PUBLISH NOW' changed to 'SAVE', “Purpose of Flow” changed to “Name your flow”, etc.
When running an onboarding or training program, it is best if it's possible to mandate the completion of tasks in a sequential manner. In the Tasklist, you can add tasks in a logical and goal-centered manner to make sure users get the most out of the content you create.
To configure this option,
- Go to Tasklist configuration page and check the setting “Need Sequential Tasks”.
This setting can be only be enabled if “Need Task Progress” is enabled. Once this is enabled, users cannot skip a task from the Tasklist and will need to complete the tasks sequentially.
- Sequencing of tasks is currently not applicable to the tasks within a group. A single group will be considered as one task and once all the tasks in the group are complete, the user will be able to move to the next task.
We've made it easier to generate multiple extensions for your user-base. If you are an account manager, you can yourself generate extensions across different browsers, from within the dashboard. Once this is enabled, you will see the "Manage Extensions" under the Settings option. in the cog wheel menu as shown below:
- To enable this option, please reach out to email@example.com.
This option will lead you to the page where you can self-manage the extensions
The following options can be configured for the extension :
Browsers, for which extension is needed
- Extension Name and browser cannot be empty.
- Extension name should be at least 3 characters long
- The last generated versions information is displayed for only the successfully generated extensions.
Editing your walkthroughs is easier now as you can insert a new step in between when you are moving through a walkthrough. Use the "launch full edit" option to get more control when editing walkthroughs.
In '"launch full edit", (instead of +step), you will see “Insert” option that will allow you to select before/after which step you need to add more steps. The hover-over menu shows the options named as:
You can use these options to insert a new step before or after the current step.
- This feature will work only in the Launch Full Edit mode
- This feature is applicable only to Walkthroughs (no other content type)
- Keyboard shortcuts are applicable:
- Insert Step Before: ctrl + shift + z
- Insert Step After: ctrl + shift + x
While creating walkthroughs, you can now choose between 'enter' or 'tab key' to be used for considering a step as 'complete'.
These can be used when creating walkthroughs on form fields.
In the step completion options on the Whatfix editor, you will see a new option “Others”.
On selecting others, you can view “enter” or “tab” options.
- Enter or tab cannot be combined with other options.
It is now possible to create more flexible segments for better targeting of users. In the window variable option in the Editor and Dashboard you will see four more options to perform comparison options easily:
Date Greater than
Date Less than
For example, you want to show self-help widget only to users of the application which are on a higher version number, say 4. To achieve this, in the self-help segment, simply set the window variable to be version number variable greater than “3”.
Greater and less than will accept numerical values only
For date greater than/less than the default format is “MM/dd/YYYY”. The format can be changed to match your system date format. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make changes.
Last updated: 18th September 2018
- Grouping of Content in Self-Help and Task List
- Scheduling of Pop-Ups and Beacons
- Facelift for Whatfix PDF format
- Create Video Content with Only the URL
- Consolidated Analytics View of the Beacon and Pop-up
- Add Multi-format Content in Tasklist
- Directly Download Flows as Videos
- Easy rules creation in Branching for drop-downs and radio-buttons
- Export Analytics Summary in PDF
- Rich-Text Editor
- Re-order Content using Drag and Drop
- Beacon Updates - Refresh, Count, Analytics
- Multi-format Export Control
- Analytics Dashboard - CSV Report Download
- Data Validation API
- Step Completion for drop-downs and radio-buttons
- Branching to an "End Message"
- Task List Animation
To make it easy to manage the content you create, you can now organize it in groups. You can choose to create goal-based groups (for example, you can group certain flows that a user might need for a desired ‘beginner proficiency level). You can also create groups based on the relevance to the page a user is on. It is possible to create groups in a two-level hierarchy.
You can now group your content in Self-help and Task List and make it easier for your users to find relevant content.
You can simply drag-and-drop content to add them to relevant groups
You can use the 'Create Group' option under the 'Create' option to use this feature
In Task List the grouping of content can be used to create bite-sized learning plans. Combining this with the recently added capability of multiple content types in the tasklist, you can now create comprehensive and well-organized training plans and track progress easily.
- Content can be dragged in and out of groups easily
- For your users, groups will be shown as below:
You can create up to 20 groups in each segment
Nested grouping (ability to add a group within a group) is currently not supported.
Your users can view tasks remaining in the group beside the group name (For tasklist only).
This will be applicable only if "Need Progress" is enabled.
To help you plan better announcements and alerts, we now have a scheduler for Smart pop-ups, Guided pop-ups, and Beacons. You can schedule alerts for a specified time in the future to time in coordination with an upcoming maintenance shut-down or new feature release. If needed, it is also possible to set alerts with a recurring setting.
Apart from the already existing option to set alerts based on ‘where’ in the visibility rules conditions, you can now use the following ‘when’ options present in the scheduler:
Time, date, recurrence and time-zone for scheduling
We have redesigned the PDF format to reflect our slideshows. Now, you can download the PDF which explains the contextual walkthrough and prints it out as handouts for quick reference.
Now you can create video content by directly using the video URL. There is no need to embed links anymore.
You can still use embed-link to create video
To add video content from any other provider apart from Vimeo, Wistia, Youtube and DailyMotion, you will still need to use embed link.
You can now get a consolidated analytics view of the Beacon and Pop-up segments to understand their usage and effectiveness at a glance. This will include a list of all the pop-ups/beacons created, its live date, number of times they were displayed and number of interactions on them.
This gives you the direct links to the attached content to the beacon or the pop-ups. In addition to that, if a Whatfix walkthrough attached (a.k.a Flows) then you will also be able to get a drill down on its analytics.
Drill down is not available for content types like Link and Videos (applicable only to Beacons)
You can now also view the date the segment was activated in this widget.
You can also view the usage of static-content (links, videos, and text) for task list and self-help. This now makes it possible to understand the complete usage of these widgets, not just for flows, but any other content you make available to users in the task list and self-help.
From an analytics standpoint, the videos/URL tasks in Task list are considered complete if the end-user clicks on them.
The flow analytics has been augmented with the data for the number of times a flow is played by URL, slideshow, blog & end message. This provides a comprehensive view into your users’ engagement with the flows.
Now multiple content types are supported in the Tasklist. Different content types: Links, Videos & Text can be created and enabled within a Tasklist segment (same as Self-help).
- When the user clicks on the Link, Video or the text content, the task will be marked as complete.
- There is no change in the behavior of completion of flows in Tasklist.
- Tasklist Segments created using “ALL” or “TAGS” will now display all the content and content marked with the TAGS respectively.
Auto-generated videos of Flows can now be downloaded without needing to upload them on public hosting sites such as Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
- The files will be generated in .mp4 format
- The download link will be shared to the registered email id.
- The download link will be valid for 24 hours
- Only Flows can be downloaded as videos
- Limited compatibility with Windows Media Player.
When creating rules in branching, upon selection of “SelectedElementText’, there will be two options: dropdown or radio-button. Select the relevant option to create branching rules easily.
This will work for generic drop-downs & radio-buttons where input type is ‘select’ or ‘radio’.
The text for the dropdown or radio-button is not be saved. The options are listed only when the step is getting created.
Analytics summary can be easily exported in a pdf format and save it on your computer. This report presents the summarised information on the usage of all the widgets in your account
Easy content formatting options in the UI without the use of markdown.
How to invoke these formatting options?
- After making the text selection
- On entering a new line the "+" icon is displayed. This is used as a 'quick insert' option for videos and images:
Same options will be available on Whatfix extension as well while creating flows or smart tips
Changes w.r.t to locale file
Going forward, we will be adding HTML tags to the locale file instead of the markdown syntax.
- Existing : * Hello World* Hello Welcome to whatfix %%%https:// geology.com/world/india-map.gif%%%\n%%%https://www.youtube.com/embed/mwoWyPFQlpM%%% [click here](https:// whatfix.com )
- New : <em>Hello World</em> Hello \n<strong>Welcome to whatfix</strong> \n<img src="https:// geology.com/world/india-map.gif " style="height: 150px !important;" data-image="wfx-old-image">\n<br>\n<span><iframe src="https:// www.youtube.com/embed/mwoWyPFQlpM"></iframe></span > \n<a href="https:// whatfix.com " target="_blank" rel="nofollow noreferrer">click here</a>
You can now reorder content in the segment using drag and drop action. This feature is supported in the segment configuration page.
- The previous way of reordering has been removed
- No IE9 support for drag and drop.
Just as with links & videos, dashboard users can now create plain text content to answer queries which don't require walkthroughs.
"My Content" page will now have a "Create" button at the top right. This allows the dashboard user to create links, videos and text contents on the dashboard itself.
Whatfix users can view text content on Self-help like other content.
- Segment Refresh
Dashboard user can now "refresh" a beacon segment, using the refresh icon in the beacon segment:
Refreshing a beacon makes the beacon reappear for all users.
- Show count
Beacon segment visibility rules now include a count of the number of times the beacon is to be shown to the end user:
If the collection has more than one beacon, each beacon will be shown the selected number of times.
- The analytics summary for beacon shows the number of users the beacon has been shown to
The dashboard user is now presented with an option to include/exclude multi-format content while exporting flows.
By unchecking the multi-format option, the export package will NOT contain the following:
- Slide Show Deck (images will not be present)
- This option is selected by default (and CANNOT be deselected) when the launch mode for self-help is configured as "Slideshow".
Task List data/reports can now be exported in the form of a CSV.
- The analytics dashboard has an "Export" option for the task list tab:
On clicking on "export", the user would be sent an email on a registered email address with a link to download the export package.
The export package is a ".ZIP" file containing the CSV data file.
Custom validation requirements can now be handled via the Validation API.
Signature of the API is :
function onValidate ( event )
API validation within the scope of an iFrame is NOT supported
- Locale/language based error message over-rides are required to be handled in code.
- The editor has a new option for step completion on drop-downs and radio-buttons:
Branch configurations now include the ability to pick the "End Message" for the branch target.
The step selection UI shows the end message of the target flow:
Launch display for Task Lists has been animated. No controls are enabled over this animation style at present.
Last updated: 17th May 2018
- Validate Data Input in Form Fields
- Improved UI/UX for Slideshow/Deck
- Domain Filters for Analytics Dashboard
- Introducing Single Sign On (SSO)
- UX Improvements
Whatfix will now be able to validate the inputs provided on the form fields in your application. This functionality can be configured via Advanced Options in Smart Tips.
- In smart tips, there are two options: Help Tip and Only Validation.
- Help tip: Using this, you can provide a help tip and if required, use the advanced options to provide validation.
- Only Validation: This option performs only validation without providing any help tip.
An error message is mandatory if validation rules are configured.
We provide standard error messages for each rule. These can be edited.
Currently, we support the following rules for validation:
Character length (minimum and maximum)
Email address (standard notation)
Web address (standard notation. Eg: https://www.whatfix.com )
Date format (formats specified)
This is how the error messages will appear for your users:
- Values are validated when the user enters the input and moves out of the field.
- Error engagers (red) are shown on the element when validation fails.
- When the user hovers over the field or brings the focus back on the field, the error tip will appear.
- Here is an example of how the error tip appears.
- Once the user enters the values in the correct format, the error engager is no longer shown.
- Multiple rules can be selected using the AND/OR operators
The slide show UI/UX has been made consistent with the Whatfix theme.
End slide text format in the slideshow will take configuration from End Message configurations in the dashboard.
Analytics dashboard now includes a "domain" filter in the filter bar,
The domain filter popup offers the user "include" and "exclude" filters
When filters are applied, the filter bar indicates the same
- "Include" filters function like an "OR" operand
- "Exclude" filters function like an "AND" operand
- "CLEAR FILTERS" option will clear ALL specified filters
Whatfix now allows for Single Sign-On based authentication with an identity provider of choice. Implementation of Single Sign-On is based on SAML 2.0. With Single Sign-On, users don’t have to sign in to
Whatfix again after first signing into the target application. Single Sign-On logs users automatically into Whatfix if they have been authenticated by the target application.
- Single Sign-On is not enabled by default. Customers will have to contact their respective Customer Success Manager to enable the feature informing them of the identity provider they want to use it with.
- We have added workflow Branching on UI to simplify the user experience. With this release, editors can easily configure different branches of a workflow on the Editor while creation and on the Dashboard while editing.
- EDITOR: When creating steps for a flow, "Advanced Options" is shown in the UI
Last updated: 15th March 2018
- Additional Operators Support for Segmentation
- Automatic Beacon Segmentation
- Improved Walkthrough Edit Experience
- Beacon Widget Support on UI
- Languages Translation Improvements
- Release Communication
- Password Policy Enhanced
- Support for Chat/Email/Ticketing Integration in Self-Help
- Admin Console Improvements
Visibility rule conditions now support both AND and OR operations
Segment content by Tags also supports the AND/OR operations
- Whenever AND/OR is used in combination AND would act as a delimiter. You can refer to support article for more details.
When a NEW beacon collection is published, a segment is created automatically.
- Segment name is the beacon collection name.
- The beacon collection that is attached is the newly published one.
- Subsequent changes to the beacon collection will NOT update the corresponding segment
When the Launch Full Edit button is clicked, the walkthrough launches in the application and the editor window is open in a minimized version. This helps in easily navigating to the desired step of the flow for editing.
- The Whatfix Editor now presents the user with an option to create a "Beacon Collection"
- You can now attach multiple content types like videos, links and walkthroughs to a Beacon.
- Once the user clicks the beacon, it stops displaying to the user. To show the beacon again, create a new segment.
- Account Managers can add required locales themselves
- Whenever the content gets updated the locale files would be marked dirty and status would reflect that.
- The status column of the language table indicates if the file is in sync with the content. For locales that are not in sync, an appropriate message is displayed.
The delta of content that is out of sync can be seen and downloaded by clicking on the "Out of Date" status
With every new release, you would get a shout out on bell icon on the dashboard. Clicking the bell icon takes you to the detailed release notes page.
Now Whatfix account password policy can be provisioned as per your enterprise security policy. Contact email@example.com to update your organization's password policy.
Widget configuration now includes a "Support" tab
- Support touch points that can be configured are:
- Admin menu options (Integration + Settings) has been renamed to "Configuration"
- Theme (tip and end popup) and Integration Script have been combined in this UI