- 04 Dec 2023
- 2 Minutes To Read
Enable Spotlight feature
- Updated On 04 Dec 2023
- 2 Minutes To Read
The Spotlight feature is used in a Flow step to get the user to focus on an element while the rest of the screen is blacked out. When Spotlight is enabled, the end user is restricted to click only the element that completes the step. The end user cannot interact with other elements on the page.
Spotlight can be enabled for individual step in two instances:
If you want to enable Spotlight for all the steps in multiple Flows, see Enable Spotlight for multiple Flows.
Log in to the application where you want to create content, and then launch the Whatfix Studio.
Enter the name of the Flow as you want it displayed to the users.
Click + Add Step.
Click the desired element on the page that the user needs to select.
Click ADVANCED OPTIONS.
Under More Options, enable the Show as spotlight toggle.
Once enabled, you have two options to personalize the Spotlight based on your needs.
- Opacity of overlay: This can be used to configure the opacity of the Spotlight. By default, it is set at 70.
- Hide spotlight on hover: This option disables Spotlight when the user hovers their cursor over the selected element. This is ideal for drop-down elements where hovering over it shows multiple options.
- Finish creating the Flow.
If you have the enhanced Whatfix dashboard, use the following steps:
On the Whatfix Guidance dashboard, click Content.
On the Whatfix dashboard, click Content.
Hover your cursor over the required Flow, and then click the Edit icon.
Go to the step and then click Edit.
Scroll down to the Spotlight Options section.
Enable the Spotlight toggle.
Use the following options to personalize the spotlight based on your needs:
- Disable Spotlight on hover: This option disables Spotlight when the user hovers their cursor over the selected element. This is ideal for dropdown elements where hovering over it shows multiple options.
- Overlay opacity: This can be used to configure the opacity of the Spotlight. By default, it is set at 70%.
Click Save Step.
You can also enable the Spotlight feature for all the steps in multiple Flows using the spotlight tag. Spotlight is enabled for all the steps in flows to which the tag is added.
Use the following steps to enable the spotlight feature in multiple Flows:
On the Whatfix dashboard, select the content using the checkbox for which you want to add tags.
Click the Tags icon.
In the pop-up, search and add the tag spotlight.
If the Spotlight tag is added to a Flow and the spotlight is also manually disabled for a step in the UI, then spotlight for that step does not appear. The step level configuration has precedence over the tag. The precedence for spotlight is explained below.
Advanced Customization > Step level Spotlight configuration > Spotlight tag
The spotlight feature works only on Flows. PDF, video, article formats that are generated from the Flow do not display the spotlight.
If the multi-select feature is used to select multiple elements and Spotlight is enabled for that step, it will apply only to the first selected element.