Creating Role or Page based Tags
- 2 minutes to read
Whatfix allows you to show different content to different users with the help of tags.
There are primarily three categories of tags:
- Role tags
- Page tags
- Other tags
Role tags are used to segment content based on the user role that is defined during setting up of the system. For example, if your application has 3 roles, then you can associate a tag with each role, thus you will have to create 3 role tags. And then you can show specific sets of content to specific users.
Page tags are used a little differently. A page tag is not assoicated to the content that you create but to a page on your application. When creating a page tag, you can define certain visibility rules for the content that will use this tag. For example, if you want to create a flow that must show up only on one page of your application, you can use page tags to define the visibility rules of that page. Once the visibility rules are saved, you can now attach the page tag to different widgets and the visibilty rules associated with the tag automatically defines the visibility of the widget.
Creating a page tag is very similar to creating a role tag described above.
When you add a page tag, it will over ride any IS related auto tags and may change expected visibility rules of the content you are tagging.
This category is for all tags that do not fall in the above two types. Other tags are user created tags and don't include Default Tags in your Whatfix account.
- If you are introducing role tags to display certain content, all your content will need to have at least one role tag. Any content that you create that is not tagged is not displayed to your user in Self Help.
The way to do this is to create and use a generic role tag across all your content and then add the role-specific tags to restricted content. The generic role tag can be made visible
- Information about the role has to be provided by your application so that Whatfix can read this information. Contact email@example.com to know how this information can be parsed across.
To create a role tag:
- Navigate to the Whatfix Dashboard.
- In the left panel, click Tags.
- On the top right, click Create Tag.
- Enter a name and description for the tag.
- Click the Category drop-down menu and select Role Tag.
- Under Visibility Rules, select the desired criteria.
- We use the most commonly used criteria for a role tag - a window variable as an example. To understand other criteria, see Identifying conditions for showing tooltips.
- Also, see Segmentation.
- If the window variable is used, both the variable name and the possible values will need to be known before proceeding. If there are multiple values for a variable, multiple roles will need to be created.
- Select Window Variable.
- Enter the variable name, select the operator, and then enter the variable value.
- Click Create.